These free financial resources about major purchases are provided by the FTC. Below are the descriptions with links to each item on the FTC site. The majority are in PDF format, feel free to download, use and share them.
- Buying A New Car: Discusses pricing terms, financing options, trade-ins and service contracts. Includes a worksheet to help the buyer when purchasing a car.
- Keys to Vehicle Leasing: Explains the differences between leasing and buying a car. Sample leasing form explains information required on a lease agreement, as well as buyer rights and responsibilities.
- Taking the Scare Out of Auto Repair: Explains how your vehicle works, how to identify common car problems, how to select a good technician and the kinds of questions to ask. Explains your rights.
- How to Buy an Energy-Efficient Home Appliance: Read the EnergyGuide label; compare the energy use of competing models; estimate their differences in energy costs; and consider both purchase price and estimated energy use when deciding which brand and model to buy.
- Warranties: Explains that federal law requires that warranties be available for you to read before you buy, even when you’re shopping by catalog or on the Internet.