Real Estate Finance and Investment is a free online course that introduces the basics and processes of commercial real estate finance and investment. This graduate level course is provided by MIT, is available here and is licensed under Creative Commons License 3.0.
Course Introduction: Course overview and objectives.
Lecture Notes: Course notes.
- Lecture 1: Introductory Lecture
- Lecture 2: Basic Micro-Level Valuation – Discounted Cash Flow & Net Present Value
- Lecture 3: Real Estate Cash Flow Pro Formas & Opportunity Cost of Capital (OCC)
- Lecture 4: Leverage (Use of Debt)
- Lecture 5: After-tax Investment Analysis and Capital Budgeting
- Lecture 6: Commercial Mortgage Analysis & Underwriting
- Lecture 7: Mortgage Basics – Payments, Yields, & Values
- Lecture 8: Economic Analysis of Investment in Real Estate Development Projects – Part 1
- Lecture 9: Economic Analysis of Investment in Real Estate Development Projects – Part 2
- Lecture 10: Capital Structure Debt vs Equity, etc.
- Lecture 11: The Real Options Model of Land Value and Development Project Valuation
Assignments: Apply your knowledge and take advantage of these assignments.
- Problem Set 1
- Problem Set 1: Calculator Steps
- Problem Set 2
- Case Assignment 1: Private Practice I
- Case Assignment 2: Private Practice II
- Case Assignment 3: One Lincoln Street
Exams: Assess your grasp of the course material.
Full Course Citation
Geltner, David, and Tod McGrath. 11.431J Real Estate Finance and Investment, Fall 2006. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology: MIT OpenCourseWare), http://ocw.mit.edu (Accessed 22 Dec, 2010). License: Creative Commons BY-NC-SA